This is a blog about microfinancing trend, practice and resources in China. I am currently volunteering for Wokai, a financing institute for MFI orgnaizations in China. This is a journal of my work.

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Growing Ethnic Media Presents New Marketing Opportunities for Wokai

NPR's Morning Show has a piece on the tremendous growth of the ethnic media amidst traditional media slump. For example, L.A. has a Asian radio station that has a large following. One of the people being interviewed said, "it is really hard and tricky to capture the second generation" because they are multi-culture, multi-lingual and multi-media. And, I reckon, have a very fluid identity.

Although those new media channels offer a ready audience, it is also a challenge for marketers to find a way to connect to this newer generation of ethnic audience.

My guess is, this audience is more interested in topics related to their ethnic background. But they don't necessarily subscribe to the same view of the older immigrants.

Therefore, I think Wokai should focus on using China to capture this audience's attention but to communicate to them in languages they are familiar with.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
This is a blog about microfinancing trend, practice and resources in China. I am currently volunteering for Wokai, a financing institute for MFI orgnaizations in China. This is a journal of my work.